Thursday, August 21, 2014

My time, my beautiful valuable time...

...Is too often wasted by stupid people and stupid things.  I am done, I am taking my time back.  I found a quote today that was SO awesome:

"You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage...pleasantly, smiling, nonapologetically...to say 'no' to other things. And the way to do that is by having a bigger 'yes' burning inside." - Stephen Covey
So not all the things I'll be saying no to are stupid, nor the people.  But I notice for the most part, most people do not perceive my time as valuable.  I charge quite a lot for my time at work, so sometimes I think "Geez, that doctor's office that kept me waiting an hour owes me $200!"  But then I realize, it's a doctor's office.  So I will wait, because it's the doctor's office, and it isn't the receptionist's fault and maybe not even the doctor's :)

BUT... for the rest of "the people".  I'm done.  You have a finite amount of my time that I will choose to give to you..  If you don't take it when I offer it to you, too bad, you don't get any.  I think this is a relatively simple principal.  I may even tell you how much of my time you get, 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 2 minutes? etc.  If you say you are going to show up and I waste my time waiting for you, you probably aren't going to get more than a second chance.

I will also try, very hard, to be respectful of everyone else's time.  I will try REALLY HARD not to be late, not to drone on or ramble, and call you when I say I'm going to call you or show up when I say I'm going to show up. 

Your problems are not my problems.  I have plenty of problems already.   If I choose to help you with your problems, it is my choice.  If you shove your problems onto me, that is wasting my time, and that is going to piss me off.  And now, I'm going to say NO.

This really doesn't apply to my close friends and family because they know if they ever need anything, even my time, I will give it to them.  BUT, I am going to start putting my phone on Do Not Disturb quite a bit.  So if you need to get in touch with me, you can ask me for our home phone number and I'll give it to you (if you are close friends or family).  But if you call me about some legal issue and you aren't calling from jail your telephone privileges are going to be taken away:)

And yes, Dad, this post may seem "angry" to you.  It is in a way.  However, I'm also excited for this realization!  It means more time for the things I need and love, and less time for the things I don't.  So if you catch me letting others waste my time, sternly tell me NO.

love, a

No comments:

Post a Comment