Thursday, August 6, 2015

Fighting the Good Fight in Family Law?

The last few months I've noticed a lot of my family law clients, celebs, and even friends and people I know are getting divorced.  No shocker considering family law makes up the majority of my practice-- but what is shocking to me is many of them have been married the same length of time I have or are my age. 

When I dreamt of being a lawyer I did not dream of being a divorce lawyer.  Do any of us really?  I never intended to practice it in law school and not even during my first 3 years of practice.  My first couple of cases I took as a favor.  Surprise!  I was good at it!  

Over the years I have seen what family law conflicts do to people.  And what people do to each other and their kids.  I'm not going to lie, it's hard on an emotional human being like me.  

So why do I do it?  I do it because I care about people.  Divorce is a traumatic life event.  And even going through modifications of child support or parenting plans is tough on a soul.  I try to encourage couples to reconcile, and I've been successful at times.  But often divorce is a necessity for two people and a family to live the life they want or need to live.  And it is too often the only way for someone who will never be appreciated, respected, truly loved, or valued to escape from their cage.  

Sometimes I end up on the wrong side and it is too late.  Sometimes I end up with an ungrateful client.  And those times are really hard because I put a lot of my heart into my cases.  It is my ultimate goal as an attorney to lessen the impact I allow my cases to have on me.

BUT, not to eliminate it completely.  Because being a lawyer is what I'm good at.  Because being an emotional soul is not only who I am but what I am.  Because I really care about people and I love helping them.  But most of all because I am a warrior, inside and outside the courtroom. It is what God created me to be, a warrior.  So I will fight the good fight as he brings it to me with the tools he has given me.  Even if it sometimes hurts.

7 comments:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Business and commercial law

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parental Relocation Attorney in Albuquerque A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Probate Attorney Queens NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Nashville Personal Injury lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. бесплатная консультация юриста

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. nba pension plan

    ReplyDelete