Monday, August 31, 2015

When your baby girl goes to high school



Today is the day of freshman orientation. I'm not going to lie I'm a little bit of a wreck. Almost 14 years ago exactly, I held my little baby in my arms and fell in love for the first time with her. She has been the light of my life and now she is almost all grown up. In four years she will be headed off to college, that seems so soon!

Over the years, high school has seemed so far away. It is that time in your life when you develop your identity and everything that you do really matters. Hopefully, you learn to love yourself as God loves you.

Next year, at this time, she will have her drivers permit! For some reason, that never seemed possible. When I was her age, I was getting into all sorts of trouble. Trouble and making bad decisions. Trouble I hope she does not get into and decisions that she makes in a better way than I did. I really think that it was around this time in my life that I lost myself and my life became about surviving instead of striving.

This is a tough time of mommy guilt. You start thinking about all the things you should have taught her, all the habits you should have gotten her into before this time in her life. All the pictures you should've taken, the home movies and videos that you should have taken, all the life lessons you have yet to teach her. 

Today is really the beginning of the rest of her life. So today my only good choice is to make it the first day of the rest my life. It is time for me to set a good example of which I have failed to do in certain aspects. To get healthy, to establish routines and good habits in life, to take care of myself the way I hope she will take care of herself. It is a tough choice and it will be hard to do, but she is so worth the work.

So here is to today, the first day of the rest of a Lexi's  life, and the first day for the rest of mine.

1 comment:

  1. You make your mama cry. She is the beautiful soul she is because of the example set forth by her mama. We all need to get healthier and in doing so, we will all be around for her longer and she will need that. Now take your beautiful babies hand and be there for her as she walks through this next phase of her journey. Spend as much time as you can squeeze in with her. She's got her head on straight, you have given her the good direction to be in. Looking forward to watching you both strive forward!

    ReplyDelete