Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014-Birthday Festivities

My birthday is January 2nd and my Dad has joked I celebrate it for a week:)  I had an AWESOME birthday "week" this year.  Beautiful cards from friends and family, the day off thanks to my awesome partner, beautiful gifts from my husband and girls, lunch with my mom, dinner with the ladies, mani/pedis with April, a massage from Brooks, a beautiful birthday song from my sister, and lots of sweet texts, calls, and Facebook shout outs! 

My birthday is often a bittersweet day because it is the day after New Years.  When a lot of us, including me, are dwelling on the resolutions we didn't accomplish the year before and in awe at the big resolutions we have declared for the new year.  This year is no different for me, with one exception:  I'm done looking back and now I'm looking forward. 

I've set the bar high, extremely high, for what I want this year, my 34th year of life.  But I am strong, a survivor, a fighter, determined, intelligent, and able to do anything I want to do in this life.  Thank you to my parents for teaching me that, and to my friends for continuing to remind me. 

As I'm sure it is for a lot of you, it is hard for me to know where to start.  I have decided to take the next three weeks to develop a habit, or habits, of finding and using healthy outlets for emotion, stress, anxiety, and worry.  That will pave the way for achieving all my other goals this year.  It is going to be tough as I am a creature of routine and to create new routines and change old ones is a struggle.

It may sound odd, but I have started with a dresser.  A dresser that will hold the things I need for healthy outlets.  Workout outfits grouped together, a place for journals, bibles, and books, music, walking shoes, and a place where I can make a list of those healthy outlets and turn to that list several times a day.  Tomorrow the dresser will be put together, even if I have to do it myself, and the items will be placed in it.  And next year, around this day, I will be excited and proud of all the things I accomplished in 2014 and all the things to come in 2015 and think "it all started with a dresser."

No comments:

Post a Comment