Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014-The Year of Change-Day 1

Well HERE WE GO!!!  2014 is going to be the year of change!  Like most control freaks I hate change.  But for several months I have been thinking a lot about a sermon focused on Surrender that my pastor gave one Sunday.  There is also a section in A Purpose Driven Life about surrendering.  My favorite quote is you surrender to something, and if it isn't God what is it?  I think for me it has been fear, chaos, stress for way too long.  In 2014 I want to completely surrender my life to God and not all the negative crap that has ruled me for too long. 

Emotionally that means letting go.  Letting go of past mistakes, letting go of yesterday, letting go of past hurts.  It means addressing those things, feeling that pain, addressing it, and giving it to God.  It means daily giving my emotional baggage to God, whatever it may be that day.  That means praying, talking it out, walking, meditating, working out, dancing, singing, whatever releases the negative and allows me to focus on the positive and the Lord.

Mentally that means focusing.  I do a good job of focusing at work but too many days work follows me home, invades my dreams and sleep, and shadows my time that should be focused on my family, myself, and all the little gems of life that surround us everyday. 

Physically that means forgiving myself for the past twenty years neglecting my body and health.  Today is only what matters.  Eating right, exercising, addressing my health issues, and the list goes on. 

Spiritually it means submerging myself in the Lord.  In his word, in prayer, in putting him in the drivers seat.  I want to miss church less, read more, pray more, thank and trust him more. 

Physically how does all of this manifest itself?  You will see me happier.  You will see me spending more time on my needs and myself.  You will see me more at church.  I will be reading more- fiction that I love and Christian books.  I will be saying "no" more.  To others and to myself, to my fears, to stress, to chaos, to negative thinking.  I will be walking all the time: in the morning, at work, at night, you name it.

 I will be compartmentalizing my work from home.  I won't be taking calls from clients after work hours.  I won't be discussing work unless I am at work.  We will be spending more time together as a family, and less time on electronics in separate rooms of the house.

I will run a 10k and a half-marathon in 2014.  It is a tall order, but I am strong and I can and will do it.  I will be a mean, lean, kickboxing machine.  I will quit smoking, quit skipping meals, quit focusing my meals around junk. 

I will start Weight Watchers next week.  This week I will workout three times and next week four, and so on.  I will most likely need to hire a running coach. 

This year will be full of change.  Some is unforeseen.  But we will be going on vacation for the first time ever when we travel to Disneyland this summer.  We will be adding at least one new addition, a Blue Merle Australian Shepherd, to the family.  If I can talk Josh into it we may also be adding a new kitten and another Shi Tzu (wish me good luck on those). 

Tomorrow I turn 34 years old.  It is a bit scary, I'll admit, being so close to 35.  But I plan on running a marathon my 35th year and that will keep me on track, motivate me to become healthier in every aspect of my life.   Today I got all the lazy out;)  But tomorrow will be about me.  About exercising and spending time with friends and family and starting this new life.

2014 will be a year of change.  But it is time.  And I am ready for it.

2014

No comments:

Post a Comment